The Speech House in Tyler, TX has been offering Social Skills therapy for 3 years. This summer we are offering these programs as mini-camps. We have programs for ages 3-18. If you are interested in a particular group, please call our office at 903-581-5421. We are located in Tyler, TX at 2117 S. Fleishel Ave.
* Now registering for Circle Time Friends & Social Super Hero. Both camps begin the week of June 17th. Registration deadline June 14. Call us for more info or to sign up.
Circle Time Friends
(This class will meet one hour one time per week through the summer. Tuesdays 10:45-11:45 a.m.)
- Circle Time: Sit in Circle, Greetings, Participation
- Basic skills: Vocabulary & Basic Concepts
- Story Time: Listen to a story, Attending
- Comprehension: Answer questions, comments, ask questions
*This camp is not appropriate for children with severe behavioral problems or cognitive impairment.
Super Hero Social Skills
- Meet SuperFlex & learn about his Super Powers:
- Meet Rock Brain, the Arch Nemesis & the trouble he creates by being inflexible
- SuperHero Training Academy: Develop your own Super Powers
- Strategies for Defeating Rock Brain
- Learn about others on the Unthinkables Team - Brain Eater, Body Snatcher, GlassMan...
- Learn how to spot Unthinkables in action
- Identify who your Unthinkables are
- Learn ways you can defeat them
Section One: Learning the Basics (July 8-11)
- Social Smarts: What is it & Why it’s Important
- Reading Emotions & Body Language / Our Behaviors Affect Others
- Eye Power: Using our Eyes to Understand Cue
- Using All of Our Senses to Be Aware, Understand, & Act
- Practicing these Skills through Observations
- Developing Interest/Curiosity in Others/Thinking as a Group
- Conversation Expectations
- Conversation Killers
- Conversational Practice
This camp will be geared for children ages 10 – 14 / Grades 4th-8th. Students should have average to above average cognitive abilities. Students with social skills disorders may have no known diagnosis or may have ADHD, Asperger’s, HFA, NVLD, OCD, ODD, etc.*Camps are not for children with severe behavioral problems, cognitive impairments, or psychiatric problems.
Middle School Survival
Middle School can be scary... but it does not have to be. If your child is about to enter Middle School (6th - 8th grades) or if your child has been struggling, this camp may help. Some of the ideas we will explore:
- Making the transition from childhood - as we grow up, so do our toys & interests
- What's expected at this time in life - independence, responsibility, & cooperation
- How to make & keep friends - basic rules for interacting with others
- How to avoid trouble - dealing with bullies, gossip, social media...
Who: Students entering 6th grade or 7th/8th graders who are still struggling with social issues in Middle School. Students should have average to above average cognitive abilities. Students with social skills disorders may have no known diagnosis or may have ADHD, Asperger’s, HFA, NVLD, OCD, ODD, etc.
*Camps are not for children with severe behavioral problems, cognitive impairments, or psychiatric problems.
This group is geared toward the speech therapy clients who need to work on their therapy goals at a conversational level. It is perfect for the child needing to achieve carryover of goals. This group is for students working on articulation, fluency, or selective mutism. Groups will be formed with students of similar ages. Books will be decided upon by the groups. Contact us for more information and to let us know if you are interested in this group.