Saturday, April 28, 2012

DREAM

My youngest son is graduating from high school on May 18.  Of course, this elicits many emotions in my heart: joy, hope, sadness, peace, anxiety...

I sit here this Saturday morning making plans for his graduation day and I realized I need to decide on a gift (since we are only 3 weeks from the event).  I plan on gifting him something useful and pricey, but I also need another small meaningful gift.  As I browsed on the computer for suitable ideas, I came across a picture book, DREAM by Susan V. Bosak.  At first I dismissed it, then I decided to look closer at it.  I found screen shots of the book and was impresssed with the illustrations.  Then I found a link in which the book was read.

I like what I found. But it also opened up another floodgate of thoughts on my own life, especially since I am in the latter half of the story. 
This book is about our dreams (hopes) throughout our lifespan moving from infancy, childhood, teens, young adults, fully adult, middle life, and aged.  It suggests that though dreams change they remain.



  


I have not purchased it yet, but plan on doing so (hope he doesn't read my blog... think I am safe on that one).  I think it will be a very appropriate gift on this occassion. He has his whole life ahead of him and so many dreams to dream...

Of course, the idea of DREAMS (and the links on youtube) reminded me of Susan Boyle.  What a special moment she had when her dreams began to be realized! I never tire of watching this video:


Susan Boyle is a great example of the DREAM in so many ways.  Even at the age of 47 she continued to hold onto what seemed an improbable dream and she went onto the show Britain's Got Talent.  She faced the sarcasm and ridicule. And didn't she pick a fabulous song!  She had the courage to reach out one more time and grasp for her dream, and this time it happened for her.  Most of us have heard the problems that followed.  She had a nervous breakdown; dreams do not come without a price in many cases.  But she worked through her difficulties and emerged on the other side.  In that first appearance she says she wants to be like Elaine Page.  So here is a further fulfillment of her dream:


All of this makes me step back and look at my dreams.  Some have been forgotten or broken.  Others have been fulfilled. Yet others have been tweaked and realigned.  Maybe it is time for some to be rediscovered...

2 comments:

Chapel Hill Snippets said...

I love this post. My own daughter is graduating from college next weekend, and I feel like buying the book you described for her. She is joining the Peace Corps--traveling is a big dream of hers. Thanks for posting! Good luck with the graduation plans for your son!

Suzanne Herman, M.Ed., CCC-SLP said...

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation and her plans. It is an interesting time in our lives to watch our babies grow up and launch out into independence.